Latest News

The Lying Field

The Lying Field
By Linda Wairegi

I think that interviews are a lying field, you show your best side. It’s like dating. Every person with a job has lied before. From exaggerating your fluency is French to sugar-coating how your last job ended.



You want to be the best candidate. You want the panelists to recall your name with ease. Recently, I went for a job interview at an undisclosed location. It started on an interesting note and I felt like I was in a typical American drama-comedy. Each candidate was asked to highlight an individual strength and an individual weakness. Two ladies stated that their weakness was perfectionism itself. It made me self-reflect. Had I already lost the opportunity without realizing it? Why couldn't I have contemplated giving a more socially acceptable answer like becoming too intense when doing activities am passionate about?


All of this and more made me think that we’re all liars, every time we gush about job opportunities, talk about a love for learning new skills and a high drive for overcoming challenges. Whilst, at the back of our minds, we’re spending our future pay checks and plotting future strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lets Shine Africa Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Theme images by johnwoodcock. Powered by Blogger.